SUPPORTERS have condemned the “disgusting” behaviour of vandals who broke into Dean Forest Railway’s newly refurbished station at Lydney Junction this week.

The station was found in a vandalised state on Monday afternoon (July 5), with the culprits having kicked down the door and emptied all of the fire extinguishers within the building.

The damage was reported to police at around 2.25pm on the day, and officers say their investigations are still “ongoing”.

Refurbishment works at the station, which were carried out by Dean Forest Railway (DFR) volunteers, had only been completed last month.

DFR’s commercial director Tim McLennan shared a photo of the damage on Facebook following the break-in explaining what had happened to supporters.

“Sad scenes tonight at Lydney Junction, with vandalism being carried out on our newly refurbished station - the door has been kicked in and damaged, and the fire-extinguishers have been “emptied” inside the building”, he said.

Tim set up a fundraiser through the Facebook post so that supporters could donate to a fund which will go towards repairing the damage, with £700 having been raised so far.

“If you would like to help us in repairing this damage and to continue the fine work our volunteers have been doing at Lydney Junction, any donations are very gratefully accepted”, he continued.

Supporters commented on the post condemning the vandals and offering their support for the society, with one person saying: “This is disgusting behaviour. Bet somebody’s parents are going to be really proud of their offspring. I’m so sorry for you all”.

Another commented: “Hope the police catch the people who did this. I was on that line a few weeks ago and it’s a great building to have a look at at this station.”

A spokesperson for Gloucestershire Constabulary said: “At around 2.25pm yesterday (Monday July 5) police received a report of criminal damage at Lydney Junction Station.

“Investigations are ongoing.”

Anyone who has any information can contact police using an online form at, quoting incident number 252 of July 5.