THE funeral of a 38-year-old man who died after a horrific accident at work has been postponed for police to carry out further investigations.

Martin ‘Mugsy’ Simmons was injured while working at the New Dunn Business Park in Sling on Wednesday, February 20, and died two weeks later after being airlifted to Bristol’s Southmead Hospital.

His funeral was due to take place this Friday afternoon (March 29) at the Church of the Holy Jesus in Lydbrook, but a spokesman for the Gloucestershire Coroner’s office said his body had not yet been released pending further police investigations.

“The police have requested more time to complete their inquiries into Mr Simmons’ death, so we are unable to release the body for the funeral at this time or open an inquest,” he said.

Funeral director Ernest Heal & Son also said in a statement on its website: “Due to ongoing investigation, we regret to announce that the funeral details published previously have now been postponed.

“We will place a further notice into the newspaper and on this web page once the arrangements have been finalised.”

Tributes have been paid to Mr Simmons, who had survived cancer and lived in Sling.

Described as a born ‘fighter’ by family and friends, he was working at the New Dunn Business Park when he was trapped by a conveyor belt.

Heartbroken partner Tina Penn bravely posted about Martin’s fight for life and organised a wedding blessing for the couple, who had been planning to marry, at his bedside before his passing.

She also changed her name by deed poll to Simmons to reflect their love for each other.

One online tribute to ‘Mugsy’, who enjoyed ‘hitting the decks’ to DJ hardcore music and had previously worked as a carer and at Get Stored storage in Whitecroft, said simply: “He’s my hero,” while another added: “An amazing guy who will always be in the memories of so many people.”

One woman also posted about his brave battle with cancer.

She said: “I have so many good memories of Martin and I am so happy I could be there for him in a small way when he was going through cancer.

“He is a fighter and has won so many battles – this war had just proved a bit much for him. I’m privileged to have known you Mr Simmons.”

Further tributes described the former Lakers pupil, who previously lived in Lydbrook, as “a lovely, genuine guy”, “a lovely fella”, a “wonderful man”, a “legend” and a “Special Fighter”.

Mr Simmons was the dad of an eight -year-old son, Callum, and stepfather to Tommy, and had a brother and two sisters.

Friends and family can post tributes and photos on a dedicated Facebook page ‘In Memory of Martin Simmons’.