Boost for dominant Lydney

By Mark Elson   |   Senior Reporter   |
Wednesday 26th September 2018 7:22 am
[email protected]

+ 2
(View All)

Subscribe newsletter

Subscribe to our email and get updates right in your inbox.

Tribute South West One West

Lydney 36-5 North Petherton


LYDNEY bagged the maximum five points in a game they dominated.

It was a boost after the drubbing at the hands of Forest rivals Newent last week and ahead of an encounter with unbeaten leaders Okehampton this coming Saturday (September 29).

This was an emphatic win against a team that was robust and looking for the win.

Lydney were ahead within three minutes with Jack Sterry executing a well-taken penalty from 40 metres.

Home centre Nathan Tucker took the ball 50 yards from Lydney’s half to test the defence.

It came as no surprise when full-back Alex Nelmes crossed the line only for the referee to signal for a five-metre scrum.

With backs and forwards dominant, it was only a matter of time before the lead was increased.

Skilful passing by Matt Williams, Tucker and fellow centre Josh Hannan, presented Sam Arnott with the scoring opportunity that made it 8-0 with Sterry adding the extras for 10-0.

Sterry’s next score was a try after putting the final touch to a 40-metre run by Alex Nelmes.

With the extra points, Lydney extended the lead to 17-0 and the Somerset men threw everything at Lydney.

That led to the visitors’ only score of the game but it made little difference to the momentum of the game.

Prop James Pugh was forced off by a knee injury on half an hour to be replaced by the reliable Jack Murdoch.

Despite that setback, Lydney continued to test the visitors and Tia Lakabuka was the next name on the scoreboard,

His opportunity came after Tucker found touch with a long kick from a penalty.

From the lineout the ball was carried by forwards and backs for Lakabuka to cross the line at pace.

Sterry kicked the points and Lydney went into the interval 24-5 ahead.

If the visitors were looking for some respite after the break, they were sorely disappointed.

They remained pinned in their own half for much of the second 40, fighting desperately to keep Lydney out.

But Paul Scott scored Lydney’s fourth try after 10 minutes, converted by Sterry, with Callum Thompson getting the fifth, with Sterry again getting the conversion for a 36-5 win.

More About:



To leave a comment you need to create an account. |

All comments 0