Duo win call up for Wales squad

By Mark Elson   |   Senior Reporter   |
Wednesday 24th January 2018 9:06 am
[email protected]

Subscribe newsletter

Subscribe to our email and get updates right in your inbox.

TWO Wyedean rugby wingers have been called up for Wales’ Six Nations squad.

Uncapped former Cinderford RFC flyer Josh Adams has been selected after impressing for Worcester Warriors, where he is the English Premiership’s top try scorer.

And former Monmouth School head boy Hallam Amos is also in the squad, after playing more minutes than any other player in Wales’ autumn internationals.

Their call-ups follow another Forest rugby coup, after Bream RFC product Wayne Barnes claimed the record for the most English Premiership games refereed, ahead of two Six Nations appointments with the whistle.

Adams played for Cinderford in 2016, and if he gets on to the pitch, he’ll be following in the footsteps of Freddie Burns and Ben Morgan, who both earned international caps after playing for the Foresters.

The 22-year-old played at Dockham Road alongside the likes of Hartpury’s Mike Wilcox and Bristol’s Callum Sheedy, and was named Aviva Premiership player of the month for December after scoring nine tries in 13 games so far this season.

Amos had an impressive autumn series for Wales, scoring tries against Australia and Georgia and setting up touchdowns against New Zealand and South Africa.

The 23-year-old has 15 caps to his name and played 256 minutes – more than any other Wales player – in the autumn Tests.

Wales begin their Six Nations Championship against Scotland in Cardiff on Saturday, February 3 and face reigning champions England at Twickenham seven days later, Ireland in Dublin on Saturday, February 24, (2.15pm), Italy at home on Sunday, March 11 and France in Cardiff on Saturday, March 17.

Meanwhile, record-breaking rugby ref Wayne Barnes will officiate two Six Nations games - France against Italy on February 23, as well as Ireland v Scotland on March 10.

But he has recalled how his first Aviva Premiership English game was interrupted by a streaker covering himself with a toy elephant.

The 38-year-old created history by becoming the record holder for the most Aviva Premiership matches officiated, refereeing his 191st Premiership match when he took charge of the Warriors and London Irish clash on Friday, December 22.

And Barnes, who went to Whitecross School in Lydney and Monmouth School, had a baptism of fire on his Premiership debut at the Rec in Bath when he had to deal with the streaker followed by a man suffering a heart attack in the stands.

“In the game there was a mass brawl and I thought ‘I have to show a bit of control and command’, so I blew my whistle and stood there very authoritatively,” he recalled.

“And they stopped fighting, so I thought ‘wow this easy’, but actually the fight was stopped by a streaker running on with an elephant across his bits.

“That was my moment to take control and I was blown out of the water by a naked man and his elephant.

“And then with 20 minutes to go in the game, one of the touch judges came across and said ‘you have to stop the game’ and I thought a fight had started again.

“I could not see where it was and looked to my right to see an ambulance driving down the middle of the pitch because someone had had a heart attack in the crowd.”

He doesn’t just lay the law down on the pitch though, as he also finds time to practise as a part-time barrister in London, despite officiating top club games throughout Europe, Six Nations clashes and internationals around the world.

More About:



To leave a comment you need to create an account. |

All comments 0